Monday, October 1, 2012

WARNING - Fake Alert

I’m not frugal. If you don’t believe me, ask the husband. But, because I am in the middle of a craft studio build – The Beehive - I am on a Ramen Noodle craft diet. I am not allowed to buy anything!  Period. No exceptions.

With only a few weeks left till the bewitching day, I was faced with a witchy dilemma. I really wanted to buy and make a Halloween Tim Holtz Configuration Box. I had tons of spooky black and orange leftovers from Mike’s and Joanne’s  that I had rescued from the discount bin -  but no configuration box in sight.  

Determined to make some kind of display, I dug through my Crap Stash (yes, I actually have a container I have labeled Crap Stash)  and found this small shadow box that I had purchased earlier this year at the Dollar Tree. Not exactly a TH configurations box but I channeled my Fairy Godmother and with a wave of her wand and a few Bibbidi-Bobbidi- Boo’s I created something truly magical!  The best part of this whole project is that it cost me zero dollars.  
 
 I started out with this plain Jane box – dimensions are 6" wide x 8 3/4" high x 1 1/4" deep. First step was to remove the hardware on the back and then slap on the black acrylic paint. Next I made dividers using a manila folder.
 
 
 More black paint, antique linen Distress crackle paint, Tsukinek Walnut Ink and Carole's Crafts Shimmer Magic ancient copper (thank you sweet Alyson).
 
 
Once it was dry I started decorating. I used snips and snails of MME Lost and Found Halloween that I purchased in August, before the budget went into effect. 

 
The hardest part of this entire craft project? Limiting what I put in the box.
 
I seriously cannot believe how much fun I had. Who knew that a dollar box could look like this? What are you making for Halloween? 

Want more? Watch the video HERE.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks but not as fantastic as the mini I am making you :-) HUGS

      Delete
  2. WOW....Excellent job!!

    GIGIGI30 from Scrapbook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much :-) I wonder what TH would think? Hugs

      Delete
  3. WOW! I would never have guessed you'd faked the compartments. And by using a manilla folder?! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius? Not me, it's just amazing what being on a budget can do for creativity! Big Hugs

      Delete
  4. Love the end result and love that you created the box yourself even more. I love your crap stash box, I have a box called oddbits. xx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lied. I don't just have one crap stash box. I have two. And they are all full. HUGGGGGSSS!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. oooo! And I love you betsy for being my friend :-) Hugs and smiles!

      Delete