Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Challenge

Over the last year or so I have heard reports about some fabulous unfinished wooden boxes at the Dollar Tree, but had never actually seen them in person. There was a time when I wondered if they were just an urban legend. Did they really exist or was this some kind of conspiracy of the Dollar Tree to get me to stop by once a week in search of these phantom boxes? 

I had given up the hunt many months ago, so when I visited the Dollar Tree the other day and wandered down their craft aisle, I did a double take when I saw squares of unfinished wood on the bottom shelf. I immediately dropped to my knees. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! The heavens opened up and in front of me appeared – insert harp music here -  close to 40 little boxes in assorted styles.

Yes Virginia the Dollar Tree boxes do exist. Although now there are only 30 left, so if you want one you better get over there pronto!

I gotta say I love these better than the $1.00 balsa boxes

 
The tiny box is the perfect size to house my tiny thimble collection


I figured my first box needed to be an important one, so this is my entry in the TH TF Challenge. I made the flowers with tissue paper I got from this wonderful boutique in NYC called What Goes Around Comes Around. I painted the box, distressed it and then decorated with a script TH stamp. Lace, a black key, an actual label from the store and a butterfly finish off the the Infamous Dollar Tree Box.

Hope you and Tim like it! There's still time to enter the challenge HERE. Does your local Dollar Tree carry the boxes? If so, what have you made with them?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen these at Dollar Tree (admit I don't go there often) but they are NICE boxes. Love what you did with it Ellen, those flowers are WOWZA!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a riot. I still think you should try your hand at writing a novel. Love to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AS always you inspire to create and to go shopping. The tissue flowers are divine and look like a winner to me!! xx Michelle

    ReplyDelete