Saturday, December 17, 2011

I can lie about my weight, but not about my age.

There are certain birthdays that are truly memorable. Although I don’t recall everything about the day, I will never forget my very special Sweet 16th Birthday. On the way to the party, over the car radio, I was serenaded by the song Sixteen Candles by the Crests. It was purely coincidental, but at that moment, I felt as if it was being played just for me. It was a wonderful way to start my most favorite birthday party.

Another birthday that was significant was my 30th. Not for what I did, but for what it signified. I grew up in the 60s and the saying, “Never trust anyone over the age of 30!” was my mantra. I literally wore it on a button for years and now here I was…30. Over the years the saying has been attributed to Bob Dylan, Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin and the Beatles. But whover said it first doesn't matter, what mattered to me at the time was that I was 30, and too old to be trusted. I was an adult.

I soared on my 50th, as I flew with my darling daughter to London. When the stewardess found out it was my birthday she served us champagne and then led the plane in singing Happy Birthday. The best part of the whole trip was that she took me up to the cockpit and I actually got to see what it was like to pilot a 747. Neither would ever happen again...being 50 or getting to visit the cockpit.

Now to the present, and it’s not one that is giftwrapped. Here I am…gulp…65 years old. The day was spent with the two people I love most in the whole world – my daughter Cassandra and my husband Tony. To commemorate the significance of the day, I created a little book that contains 65 of my favorite memories. In no particular order or importance, each page holds a tiny piece of my life that has helped to shape the person I am today. By writing down these memories I was able to relive some of the moments that I hold dearly to my heart.


BTW my 50th Birtday is in the book, but not my 16th or my 30th. Guess I'll be making another book in the future.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the story behind this mini album, and this is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time! My mama turns 65 this year in December, and I think I'm going to have her start writing down her 65 best memories so I can make her a book like this! TFS!

    ReplyDelete