Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thank You

My mother was the antithesis of the 1950’s domestic goddess housewife. She hated housework, cooking and being a stay at home mom. She didn’t iron, couldn’t sew on a button and never once did she ever bake a cake. However, she taught me the importance of reading and encouraged me to pursue my dreams and for that, I will always be grateful.

The dichotomy of my mother’s personality is that although she was more a geek than a lady, she did have three “ladylike” rules that my sisters and I were required to follow.  

  1. Always carry a clean handkerchief.
  2. Find at least one nice thing to say about everyone, even if you dislike them.
  3. Write a thank you note for all gifts you receive, no matter how insignificant.
I am proud to say that in my purse is a clean white lace handkerchief, I complimented a co-worker this morning on her toffee colored boots and I plan on writing thank you notes this evening. But first, I need to make them.

For my birthday Cassandra gave me a really huge stack of beautiful hand made papers. Only one was whimsical, pink cupcakes, and it’s perfect for the notes I will be making.

No comments:

Post a Comment