Sunday, January 1, 2012

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose.

My very first memory of the Tournament of Roses Parade was looking at photos of the floats in a souvenir program. I must have been 6 or 7 at the time and I remember thinking that instead of a pumpkin, Cinderella needed a carriage made up of flowers.

Fast forward to the 1970’s when I moved from New Jersey to Los Angeles and had the opportunity to make room for new dreams. On my list was to attend one of the most famous parades in the world – The Tournament of Roses. It took many years for my dream to come true, but it did, thanks to my dear friend Edwin.

Edwin had a camper and at the time Pasadena College offered a special package deal that included: camping overnight in their parking lot, breakfast, lunch and primo seats to view the parade on Colorado Boulevard. For two hours I felt like a wide-eyed kid as a myriad of bands, equestrians and beautifully decorated floats passed before us.  

Tony and I have our own special New Year’s traditions. Maybe not as exciting as being at the Parade, but just as memorable. We start at 9:00 pm pacific time/midnight eastern time by opening up a bottle of Bollinger champagne as we watch CNN telecast the festivities of Times Square. In the morning Tony picks oranges off our tree and we drink mimosas in bed while watching the Parade on TV. The scent of freshly picked oranges is just as sweet as roses. For what matters most is not where you are, but who you kiss at midnight!




No comments:

Post a Comment